- ReviewIsabelle Malz/Nadine Siegert (2018): The Mbari Artists and Writers Club in Ibadan. Bayreuth: Iwalewabooks.Oluwafunminiyi, Raheem (2019)
- ArticlePlant Studies: Pflanzen kulturwissenschaftlich erforschen – Grundlagen, Tendenzen, PerspektivenStobbe, Urte (2019)In der deutschsprachigen Forschungslandschaft bildet sich derzeit eine kulturwissenschaftliche Pflanzenforschung (Plant Studies) heraus, die auf den neueren Untersuchungen der Botanik und Philosophie zu Pflanzen fußt und die theoretischen Grundlagen mit denen des Ecocriticism und der Animal Studies teilt. Zentrale Strömungen und aktuelle Tendenzen werden ebenso vorgestellt, wie auch der aktuelle Forschungsstand mit dem Fokus auf der kulturwissenschaftlichen Germanistik.
- ArticleThanato-Laboratorien. Theorien von Tod und Sterben und Elias Canettis BUCH GEGEN DEN TODHeyne, Elisabeth (2019)Although visual culture of the 21th century increasingly focuses on representation of death and dying, contemporary discourses still lack a language of death adequate to the event shown by pictures and visual images from an outside point of view. Following this observation, this article suggests a re-reading of 20th century author Elias Canetti. His lifelong notes have been edited and published posthumously for the first time in 2014. Thanks to this edition Canetti's short texts and aphorisms can be focused as a textual laboratory in which he tries to model a language of death on experimental practices of natural sciences. The miniature series of experiments address the problem of death, not representable in discourses of cultural studies, system theory or history of knowledge, and in doing so, Canetti creates liminal texts at the margins of western concepts of (human) life, science and established textual form.
- ArticleWiderstands- und Gewaltforschung, überkreuzDärmann, Iris (2019)This is a plea to interlink Resistance Studies and Violence Studies. Instead of invastigating the efficiency of violence alone and declaring violence absolutely and completely in and on its own, it is necessary to look at resistance practices (escape lines, fighting back), body politics and passivations (self-injury, abortion, suicide) at the same time. For their part, resistance practices and passivations can not be measured by success but by the fact that they actually happened. People cannot be completely reduced to bare bodies without resistance. Resistance to violence has to be considered in its inconspicuous, low-threshold and „flat“ forms. In this elementary political sense resistance is understood as a punctually weakening violence and as seperation of powers in statu nascendi.
- ArticleZur subjektlosen Souveränität des traumlosen Schlafs: Dissoziation, Trauma und Erwachen bei Perec und MoshfeghLehner, Nikolaus (2019)Much has been written about dreaming, but deep, dreamless sleep still seems to receive little attention within cultural studies and social science. This article analyses Georges Perec's A MAN WHO SLEEPS and Ottessa Moshfegh's MY YEAR OF REST AND RELAXATION in terms of the phantasm of metamorphosis enabled by sleep. These two novels show that the polarity of waking and dreaming can be relativized and shifted to the polarity between waking-dreaming/sleeping: This shift becomes particularly productive when it comes to the question of losing and finding ones identity, but also when we try to shed light on the relationship between (ideological or biographical) subjectification and self-overcoming. At the centre of this article is the notion of the sovereignty of sleep, which could allow both day life and dream life to be lifted out of joint.